Certification of the compliance of packaging with environmental requirements
Since January 1, 2009, all packaging manufacturers have been required to certify in the manner specified by the relevant regulation that their packaging products meet environmental requirements. Packaging is defined by the said regulation as any item used by the manufacturer or user for receiving, protecting, handling, transporting and presenting the product (from raw materials to finished products), including any disposable materials used for the same purpose.
Additional elements directly attached to the product and serving as packaging, as well as any other components and additional elements incorporated in the packaging shall be considered as part of the packaging.
For example, packaging includes labels attached or sticked to the product, foil bags, wrappings, nets, staples, seals, etc.
Harmonized standards give a detailed specification of requirements regarding compliance assessment, the essentials of which are defined by the "new approach" directive 94/62/EC as follows:
- the weight and volume of packaging should be reduced to an extent which is still sufficient to ensure the safety and compliance of the product packed
- toxic and other hazardous components of the packaging should have minimum environmental impact until the end of packaging lifecycle
- the packaging material should be appropriate for re-utilization, energetic utilization, composting or re-use
The regulation also includes requirements regarding the management of packaging waste, stipulating that the manufacturer must ensure the collection and utilization of packaging waste, separately from other waste. The obligation of collection and utilization may be performed individually, or through an organization coordinating utilization in compliance with laws on waste management.
For a wide range of packaging materials, we issue certificates of compliance with environmental requirements in accordance with the applicable decree of the Ministry of Economy and Transport no. 91/2006 (XII. 26.). These certificates are based on our documentation checks, physical and chemical laboratory tests and assessments.
Advantages for you:
Providing evidence of the compliance of packaging materials, enabling:
- compliance with legislative requirements,
- delivery of safe packaging with the products sold, also accepted by environment-conscious customers
- meeting strict supplier criteria set by retail chains and ensuring a successful partnership between members of the supply chain